Saturday, July 18, 2009

Funeral Fashion Show

"See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil" Deut 30:15 Death is associated with evil in the Bible. It is stated that life is good. Is the mortal death an evil thing? Not if we are assured of life eternal through the blood of Jesus.

I recently had several deaths in my family. Each one had a very different lifestyle and somewhat interesting funeral service. For believers, we trust life is eternal starting at the point of acceptance of God. What I found so strange about going to these funerals this weekend was how my grandmother wanted to look so good for them. She was willing to make an late arrival due to the fact her skirt was wrong. Now please don't get me wrong. My grandmother was very upset about her family passing on. We have all been very saddened by the lose of our loved ones. Life here will not be the same without them. It seems like we have hit another milestone closer to our own death.

My uncle or my grandmother's brother, lost his daughter in law one night and his son in law the next night. He then had a stroke and landed in the hospital not able to attend any of the funerals. On top of these tragedies he was told he could not return back to his home. He would need to be placed in a nursing home. He told me that he planned on inviting the family over to his home and letting them get what they wanted.

How this mentality bothered me! Here he is looking at the end of life and giving away what few possessions he had worked his whole life to attain. My husbands grandmother was not concerned with earthly treasures at her last days either. Proverbs 15:16 states "Better [is] little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith. "

We all work so hard to find riches and attain some status only to find what King Solomon found. All is vanity. The only lasting thing is love.

Isaiah 33:6 sums up the question What is your treasure by saying "And wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times, [and] strength of salvation: the fear of the LORD [is] his treasure."

http://www.blueletterbible.org King James Version

No comments:

Post a Comment